Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Magnificat (The Journey Part I cont'd)


So, yesterday Mary arrives at her cousin's house to be greeted by a blessing.  Elizabeth, in the excitement for the child in her own womb leaping with joy at Mary's arrival, speaks these words, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.  Why is it the mother of MY LORD should come to me."  Now, Mary hasn't been able to send word ahead that she's pregnant with God's child.  But Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and instantly knew.  And at this moment, Mary has a song for all time birthed in her soul.  IMAGINE this...her sweet, innocent voice, lilting through the air...making Elizabeth, Zachariah and all the servants and workers stop to listen.  It was sweet and beautiful.  Do you hear it?  Listen....  
"My soul glorifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God, My Savior.
For He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant.
From now on, all generations will call me blessed
for the Mighty One has done great things for me
Holy is His name.....  "  Luke 1:46-56
A God song....sung by the young woman chosen to bring MY REDEEMER into this world.  God graciously gave Mary wisdom beyond her years.  And she hid all of it in her heart.  I wonder if this song might have become a lullabye when Baby Jesus was restless for sleep.  I wonder if when she held him crying from a scraped knee, that she hummed this song and it brought him comfort.  I wonder if when she had to watch Him die so her grown up baby could bring salvation to all the world, that the words to this song could have replayed in her mind.  IMAGINE it....  What a journey that still lay ahead for Mary and her boy child....

No comments: