Monday, November 16, 2009

Imagine Mary's Mundane Monday

Have you ever let yourself imagine just what Mary might have been doing the day that the messenger from God paid her a visit. Imagine for just a second...perhaps she was out in the harvest field picking up the barley or wheat that her father had just cut down with his big sheath. Or maybe she was washing dishes out behind her family's humble dwelling. Maybe she was taking the other children for a walk so her mother could have a moment of solitude from the busy chores of child rearing. Or maybe it was something fun that a young girl would be doing, like playing hide and go seek with her other adolescent friends, when there in the middle of the corn field that she was hiding in, an angelic being stepped out from behind the rock and met her in the middle of the mundane.
This makes me think about my day. It was filled with meetings, emails, phone calls, lots of time spent on IMAGINE CHRISTMAS, but at any point did a find myself at a place where I could meet God in the middle of the mudane? Was there a phone call that I needed to take because the person on the other end was a miracle moment put in the middle of my Monday? Or a person I passed by because I was just really ready to get home and out of the mass of people that were shopping at Wal-Mart? Or that potential "sweet mommy moment" that my son needed but felt like an interruption while I was cooking dinner? These are ministry moments that I surely could have missed in many places on this mundane Monday.
But what about an encounter with the Holy One. I'm not suggesting that a messenger from God the Father was going to step around the corner at the grocery to deliver a message straight from the throne of Heaven. But the Spirit does live inside me, and He richly fills me each and every moment that I surrender to walking in the Spirit. A moment of obedience so that I know the right thing to do; or a moment of encouragement from the peace He promises to fill me with when I surrender to His will. So many days can become mundane. I challenge you to be like Mary, and find yourself in a place where God Himself can meet you in the middle of the mundane. Mary's meeting changed our world FOREVER! Who could have imagined?

No comments: