Thursday, November 12, 2009

To God Be The Glory

I love the words to the hymn, "To God Be the Glory".
"To God be the glory, great things He has done. So loved He the world that He gave us His Son. Who yielded His life an atonement for sin, and opened the life gates that all may go in. Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the earth hear His voice. Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the people rejoice! O come to the Father through Jesus the Son, and give Him the glory great things He has done!"
Now you might be asking yourself, what does this have to do with Imagine Christmas? Aren't we on an imagination journey towards IMAGINE CHRISTMAS, from the beginning? And my answer is this has everything to do with why we celebrate Christmas. You're probably like me. I sing this song and automatically think about the cross. And yes! It WAS the great thing He did for us, the way to redeem us back to Himself. But He didn't come as a grown up, walk up the hill to Golgotha and lay His life down, once for all. No, God the Father gave up His son long before that, when Jesus laid down His kingly robes, and stepped across His created galaxies and solar systems to come and dwell in the tiny womb of a young girl. He lived inside, just as you and I did, completely dependent on His mother for life. He was born the same way you and I were, only I wasn't born in a cold, dark barn. My mom didn't have to lay me down for my first nap in a feeding trough on rags. This is where "the great thing" He did for you and me began. In a little village, on what seemed to be a normal night. But God the Father waited, just like Mary and Joseph did for The Son to be born. And then, He had to learn and grow just like you and me. He stumbled and fell when He learned to walk. He had chores. He worked hard and sweated like His earthly father, Joseph. The journey to the cross didn't speed up because He was God wrapped in flesh. So, at this time of the year, when I sing "To God Be the Glory for the great things He has done!" I think about His coming and becoming a baby people. It took 30 years x 365 days before Jesus officially began His ministry on earth towards the cross. And every day and every experience and every step was made with you and me in mind! Wow! Just IMAGINE IT! TO GOD BE THE GLORY FOR THE GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE!

No comments: