Monday, November 30, 2009

The Time Is Drawing Near

Luke 2:1-2
"1In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2(This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3And everyone went to his own town to register. 4So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born..."

Can you just imagine what Joseph might have been thinking as Mary's time drew near to deliver God's Son? Let's IMAGINE what could have been going through his mind as he walked over 100 miles and neared the town of Bethlehem and Mary informed him that Baby Jesus was on the way. Could it have been something like this....
"This isn't the way I planned it, God. Not at all. This child being born in a stable? This isn't the way I thought it would be. A cave with sheep and donkeys, hay and straw? My wife giving birth with only the stars to hear her pain?
This isn't all how I imagined it. No, I imagined family. I imagined grandmothers. I imagined neighbors clustered outside the door and friends standing at my side. I imagined the house erupting with the first cry of the infant. Slaps on the back. Loud laughter. Jubilation.
That's how I thought it would be...
But now, who will celebrate with us? The sheep? The shepherds? The stars?
This doesn't seem right. What kind of husband am I? I provide no midwife to aid my wife. No bed to rest her back. Her pillow is a blanket from my donkey... Did I miss something? Did, I God?
When you sent the angel and spoke of the son being born - this isn't what I pictured. I envisioned Jerusalem, the temple, the priests, and the people gathered to watch. A pageant perhaps. A parade...I mean this is the Messiah! Forgive me for asking....but is this how God enters the world?
The coming of an angel, I've accepted. The questions people asked about the pregnancy, I can tolerate. The trip to Bethlehem, fine. But why a birth in a stable, God? Any minute Mary will give birth. Not to a child, but to the Messiah. Not to an infant, but to God. That's what the angel said. That's what Mary believes. And God, my God, that is what I want to believe. This is not easy. Help me believe."
Who could IMAGINE a king...the King of Kings would come this way? God's plan to redeem us back to Himself.

2 comments:

Bradley Thomas said...

Great article - I can IMAGINE that you are very close to the reality of what happened...

Unknown said...

Wonderful article, Lainie! You've given us so many things to think about. Thank you. I love meditating on the beautiful Christmas story, but especially this time of the year. Only our Lord could have unfolded such an amazing story.