Monday, November 9, 2009

"They Saw The Child...and They Bowed Down and Worshiped Him"

Have you ever let your mind IMAGINE what it would be like to meet Jesus face to face? There is a very popular song called, "I Can Only Imagine" that is about imagining what it would be like to see Jesus.
"I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me! I can only imagine.
Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you, Jesus?
Or in awe of You, be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing 'Hallelujah!'? Will I be able to speak at all? I can only imagine!"
Lyrics and Music by Mercy Me
Using these lyrics, let's IMAGINE for just a moment what it must have been like for the shepherds, who were tending their sheep on a dark hillside just outside of the little village of Bethlehem. Perhaps they were warming themselves by the fire, or they had just bedded down for the night, knowing that every sheep was accounted for out on the hillside. Then pow! A great light appeared and illuminated the entire night sky. And standing before them, or flying, was a group of Heavenly beings who came with a message just for them.
Mark 2:10-11, "Do not be afraid, for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."

What a sight! And in one moment, their lives were changed forever. Because as they journeyed to the nearby village in search of "A Savior", they found a tiny baby wrapped in rags, lying in a feeding trough. He was their Savior, Christ the Lord, given to all people. And what did they do? They bowed and worshiped the infant, Heaven's child. And they left the manger and went and told everyone they could of the wonders they had witnessed. And the world began to change because Immanuel had entered the world, God with us.
It causes me to ask this question of myself..."What do I do when I come into the presence of the Holy One, Jesus?" Yesterday, I watched as one of our worship leaders found herself standing in the throne room, face to face worshiping our Risen Lord. And in that moment, she bowed her knee, right on our stage, in honor of the One who is her Savior, Christ Jesus. Over 1,000 people were watching, but she was just worshiping One. Truthfully, it doesn't take any IMAGINATION to answer this question, "What do you do when you come face to face with Christ?" It's more than a story, more than a fairy tale....

No comments: